My next Classics Club read shall be . . . The Iliad by Homer

Sunday, July 26, 2015

I've been struggling quite a bit in how to round out my Classics Club reading list because everything appears to be written in the 1800s, probably because I love the British Romantics and the Victorians.

Such an ideal moment.

I'm walking through the Friends of the Library bookstore, just browsing, not really looking for anything specific.

Two small volumes catch my attention.

I whip them off the shelve.

It is Homer's The Iliad and The Odyssey.

Wait, they're not on my classics reading list.

Hmm, maybe they should be.

A 1/2 price sign twinkles at me from the bookstore entrance.

Coins clatter onto the counter and I walk out having paid $1.00 for both books.

Concluding my fun little story, my next Classics Club read is The Iliad, a book I have never read before, but am excited to try. No, it's not written in Greek because, much to your astonishment I'm sure, I don't actually read Greek. The book is translated by one W.H.D. Rouse, and I have no idea whether the translation is decent. My knowledge of The Iliad extends to it being originally written as an epic poem and intended for dramatic recitation and that knowledge goes no further.

So, dear friends, wish me luck!

And if you know of a better translation, please, please let me know!

2 comments

  1. Love the new blog! The Iliad sounds like a great idea, you've inspired me to dust off the old copy my mom had on our bookshelf, perhaps I'll give it a try soon. (I've got other books on my to-read list, first though...) Good luck, and I can't wait to hear what you think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm growing quite fond of it too, especially the colors. They're quite peaceful, I think.

      So far, The Iliad is an interesting read. I'm not as far into it as I would like, but considering I'm giving myself to the end of the month to read it, I'm not too worried. And my sister gave me the Cliffnotes for it so if I get bogged down in confusion, I have something to help!

      Delete

Thank you for your kind comments, which I adore!