Time to re-read The Scarlet Pimpernel!

Tuesday, October 6, 2020

The delightful blog, The Maidens of Green Gables, is hosting The Scarlet Pimpernel read-along! I'm super excited about this one since I've been meaning to re-read The Scarlet Pimpernel for years.

Grace and Katherine are even recording themselves reading the book aloud, which promises to be even more fun.

Why do I love this book, you ask?

Why does anyone after the year 1982 love The Scarlet Pimpernel

I'll give you two words.


ANTHONY

ANDREWS



Anthony Andrews and Sir Ian McKellen in The Scarlet Pimpernel (1982)
Yes, my friends, that is the fickle yet honest reason why most people reading this book in the modern age love the story. Because of that divine film from 1982 starring the sublime and delicious Anthony Andrews as our favorite fop, Sir Percival Blakeney, baronet. In case you didn't realize he was nobility, the baronet must be thrown in for every introduction of the character. *snerk*

Ah, the memories. I even hosted an Anthony Andrews Blogathon waaaaaaay back in 2014 that was just so much fun. Sink Me! Should I host it again? Hmmmmmm, we'll see.

I have no idea when the read-along will begin, but I shall keep a lookout for it faithfully and join in each week. I can hardly wait!

4 comments

  1. Oh my, you are too kind, Carrisa! Thanks so much for joining us!! Twill be fun indeed!
    Anthony Andrews is the best Scarlet Pimpernel hands down, and an Anthony Andrews Blogathon would be such fun, you should revive it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved your video of you both reading the first 3 chapters and can hardly wait for the next installment!

      Anthony is a an absolute darling! I've watched so many of his movies over the years and watched single episodes of things simply because he was in them. He was in an episode of Colombo called Colombo Goes to the Guillotine which is just brilliant and hilarious and an obvious nod to Anthony's stint as The Scarlet Pimpernel.

      Delete
  2. EEEH!! (claps hands in glee) You mentioned us on your blog!! You are so sweet! Can't wait to begin discussing this book!....I think a viewing of the 1982 movie after we finish the book is totally in order! Love Anthony Andrews' portrayal!! 'Lud, Madmoiselle! You are even more beautiful than I recall......if that is possible!'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Your blog is lots of fun and I always enjoy finding new people to interact with who share similar literary interests! Just listening to you and Grace read the first 3 chapters made me want to watch the movie, but I'm going to refrain. I simply must wait until the end. But I may drag out some of my other Anthony Andrews' films and give them a viewing. I have so many!

      Delete

Thank you for your kind comments, which I adore!