Announcing the We Love Lucy Blogathon for 2020!

Monday, April 20, 2020

Lucille Ball gif


For as long as I can remember, I have loved Lucille Ball. My first exposure to her was in my very early teens, over twenty years ago now, and she has remained one of my top favorite classic Hollywood actresses ever since. I've seen every episode of I Love Lucy at least twenty-five times and I suspect that's on the low end of reality. I've watched The Lucy Show and Here's Lucy and enjoyed myriads of her films, a lot of them are lesser-known gems like Two Smart People in 1946 where she starred alongside John Hodiak, one of my favorite Hollywood leading men.

A national treasure, Lucille Ball deserves to be lauded for her contribution to television and film, and I couldn't resist the opportunity to host a blogathon in her honor on August 6th, her 109th birthday!
 


The We Love Lucy Blogathon ran from August 6th - 7th, 2020.

Click the above link to view all of the blog posts contributed by the participants!





Blogathon Rules
  1. Two duplicate entries permitted per film. Single entries only permitted per individual episode of her television programs. If reviewing a television show as a whole, two duplicate entries are permitted.
  2. All other Lucille Ball related topics are certainly welcomed and encouraged (see below for some ideas).
  3. The blogathon dates are August 6th and 7th, 2020 (the 6th would have been Lucille's 109th birthday!).
  4. Remember to keep your topics positive since this is technically a birthday party celebrating our favorite redhead.
  5. Comment on this post with your topic of choice and your blog link.
  6. Grab one of the blogathon buttons and post it on your blog/website to advertise the blogathon.
  7. Double-check the participation list below to make sure that your topic of choice hasn't already been claimed the maximum number of times. Since Lucille performed in so many AMAZING movies and programs, I'm sure there's a wide enough variety to give us a great selection of posts.

To get you started, here are a couple of Lucille Ball topic ideas:


Her marriage to Desi
Her long-lasting comedic partnership with Gale Gordon
Her equally long-lasting partnership and friendship with Vivian Vance
Her partnership with popular funny-man Bob Hope on television and the silver screen!
Don't forget Carol Burnett!
Any of her television programs
And of course, any of her individual film performances ranging from the 1930s all the way up to the 1970s


Participation List


Ivy Miranda (Revealed in Time) - Yours, Mine, and Ours (1968)

Charity (The Sacred in the Secular) - Lured (1947)

Movie Critic (Movies Meet Their Match) - Go Chase Yourself (1938)

Regency Woman (Musings of an Introvert) - Two Smart People (1946) and The Long, Long Trailer (1953)

Michaela (Love Letters to Old Hollywood) - Du Barry was a Lady (1943)

Jess (Box Office Poisons) - Stage Door (1937)

Rebecca (Taking Up Room) - The Dark Corner (1946)

Tiffany (Pure Entertainment Preservation Society) - Lover Come Back (1946)

Hamlette (Hamlette's Soliloquy) - Ten Favorite I Love Lucy episodes





Grab a Blogathon Button!


We Love Lucy Blogathon ButtonWe Love Lucy Blogathon Button


We Love Lucy Blogathon ButtonWe Love Lucy Blogathon Button

27 comments

  1. This looks like fun! I'll definitely be joining! Can I review Yours, Mine and Ours? That's my absolute favorite movie of hers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great choice! I love Yours, Mine, and Ours. It may have even been the first movie of hers that I ever saw when I was in my teens! Welcome to the blogathon and I'll add you to the list. About two weeks before the official start date, I'll drop by your blog and leave a comment as a reminder. Thanks for joining! ❤

      Delete
  2. Guess since it's easily found on YouTube, I'll write up something on "Lured" with George Sanders. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent choice! That one really is a rather fun noir and George Sanders is quite lovely in it. Thanks for participating! ❤

      Delete
    2. I would have picked something more recent, but I figure I can tackle something lesser known and leave the more popular films to her numerous fans. ;)

      Glad to see re: your side links you'll be participating in the Rathbone Blogathon. ;)

      Delete
    3. Awww, it's nice to have a wide representation of her work. Lured is rather unique so I think it's an excellent choice. I think I'll write for Two Smart People. And if nobody picks it, maybe The Long, Long Trailer, too.

      Yep, once you mentioned there was a Basil blogathon, I knew I would write for The Court Jester if nobody else had picked it. Such a crazy movie!

      Delete
    4. I always think of the Long, Long Trailer whenever I think of Lucy. That hilarious scene of her husband trying to wench up the trailer in a rainstorm... and then her cooking while he drives, and he can't hear her screaming at the window because he's got the radio turned up. HAH!

      I'm glad you found the link, since I intended to ask if you were interested in participating. ;)

      Delete
    5. The Long, Long Trailer is pure comedic genius. I LOVE that movie. We watched it a couple of weeks ago, actually. Or was it a month ago. Times is blending together. 😉

      Yep! The main reason I found it was the button on your page, so thank you very much! ❤

      Delete
  3. I've been looking for an excuse to review Go Chase Yourself (1938) and this fits the bill as Lucy is in it! I would like that one, please!

    MovieCritic | Movies Meet Their Match
    https://moviesmeetmatch.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I haven't seen this one! I'm looking forward to your post and thank you so much for participating! ❤

      Delete
  4. It was tough to decide, so I think I'm going to go with two topics: a personal tribute to I Love Lucy (which is my favorite TV show) and then a review of the underrated and crazy DuBarry was a Lady (1943). :)

    LoveLettersToOldHollywood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd forgotten all about DuBarry was a Lady, and it's such a hilarious film. Wonderful choices, Michaela! I'm delighted to have you join! ❤

      Delete
    2. Hey, I just wanted to let you know that I won't be able to do my I Love Lucy post as I had hoped, but I'll definitely still be contributing a review of DuBarry. I hate to do it, but things have been a little crazy between work and my own upcoming blogathon.

      Delete
    3. That's okay! Thanks for letting me know. I get crazy schedules. :)

      Delete
  5. I'd like to contribute a list of my 10 favorite I Love Lucy eps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds great, Rachel, thanks! I'll add you to the list! :)

      Delete
  6. I'd love to join this blogathon! I would like to write about "Lover Come Back" from 1946. Is that alright? By the way, I am Tiffany Brannan of the Pure Entertainment Preservation Society (http://www.pureentertainmentpreservationsociety.wordpress.com).

    Yours Hopefully,

    Tiffany Brannan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Tiffany, thanks for joining! Yes, you can absolutely write about Lover Come Back! I'm excited to see what you come up with! :)

      Delete
  7. Very cool idea! I'd like to review "The Dark Corner," please. I'm at http://takinguproom.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Rebecca, thanks so much for joining! "The Dark Corner" is yours; I'll you to the list! :)

      Delete
  8. I'd love to join! Can I write about Stage Door?

    Jess at Box Office Poisons (boxofficepoisons.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jess, absolutely! I've you put you down for "Stage Door," thanks so much for joining! :)

      Delete
  9. Here's my entry:
    https://loveletterstooldhollywood.blogspot.com/2020/08/red-skelton-and-gene-kelly-pine-for.html

    Thanks so much for hosting this! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Michaela! I'm looking forward to reading it! I'm adding it to my main post. :)

      https://cabdriversandcoffeepots.blogspot.com/2020/08/welcome-to-2020-we-love-lucy-blogathon.html

      Delete
  10. Here is the link to my review of "Two Smart People:" I'm sorry for not sending it to you sooner. Thank you for letting me participate!

    Yours Hopefully,

    Tiffany Brannan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments, which I adore!