Household Facelift Time - Painting a Wall Green

Wednesday, June 26, 2024

My newly painted green wall and my cat basking in the attention

My sister and I are women of very eclectic tastes, preferring warm tones instead of cool tones, gold and bronze instead of silver, and one thing we've noticed is that we've gotten really tired of having off-white walls in our house. Off-white walls are boring and they show every single weird ding or mark or bump in our drywall. Because, naturally, our house was built in the 1970s and bumpy walls were in, even though we would both prefer smooth walls!

When we bought our house, it suited our needs and still does, basically. But it was all fitted out with burnished silver and cool tones. Naturally. Especially the kitchen. So, we made it work for a couple of years, but last year, amongst the weirdness with my job, we purchased new-to-us furniture that gives the house more of a vintage masculine vibe. It's all in more of a craftsman style and has warm brown and red and teal tones that we just love. 

But that's when the problem happened. We began really noticing our off-white walls. So bleh and boring and just, nope. We've always loved artwork so we already have lots of nice pieces around the house, but the walls just aren't dynamic enough to really make the artwork pop.

So we took the plunge.

We already have a wallpaper sample that we love that has this Art Deco vibe to it so I spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to match the green at the store before a very helpful associate told me he could match it exactly with a scan. Go figure. So our paint on this lovely wall is exactly the color of the green in our wallpaper sample.

There will be one wall that gets smoothed out with a joint compound skim coat. That'll be an adventure, I'm sure. Until then, though, I took an entire day a weeks back and painted one family room wall green. I learned that I want the baseboards green as well as the trim around the doors and I have some fancy ideas for the doors themselves that will include adding molding.

We're very vintage in my house

I am going to paint the rest of the walls green, except for the ones that will be smoothed for very specific wallpaper. I'm in love with our green wall already and can hardly wait for the rest of the room to come together. We're sort of taking this facelift one room at a time.

1 comment

Thank you for your kind comments, which I adore!