The L. M. Montgomery Tag

Friday, February 24, 2023


This fun tag is part of Hamlette's We Love L. M. Montgomery Week. ♥

1. Who introduced you to L. M. Montgomery's writing?  Tell us the story!

I honestly think it was me. I grew up with the Megan Follows miniseries so when I reached my late teens I just decided to try some of her Anne books. I'm not sure when I first saw the miniseries, only that it's always been there, just like the Road to Avonlea miniseries that I adore.

2. What LMM books have you read?

I have an awful confession. I know that I've read some of the Anne books when I was a teenager, but I have no idea which ones or how far into the series I got. But I read at least 3 and I have also, now, read Emily of New Moon.

3. What movies or shows based on her books have you watched?

I swear someone showed me something about Jane of Lantern  Hill at some point, although I might be misremembering. I've also watched the classic Anne series with Megan Follows, all 3 of them. I've seen a few other Anne movies along the way and, yes, I did watch 2 seasons of Anne with an E although I cannot recommend it other than the first season which I found rather brilliant.

4. Which LMM character is your kindred spirit, the one you'd like to hang out with in real life?

Honestly, it would be Emily. I know, I just finished the first book, but I connected with her so strongly. She's such a plucky, little character, so sturdy and resilient, and so incredibly spiritual. I adore her and would love to know her in real life. Which is probably why my closest friends remind me of her a little bit.

5. Which LMM character do you relate to the most?  And why?

Is it wrong if I say Marilla? I always felt bad that, while Anne talks about a perfect graveyard of buried hopes, in many ways, Marilla kind of lived it. Until Anne, of course. My life is not a perfect graveyard of buried hopes, but I have a deep compassion for Marilla.

6. Have you ever been to Prince Edward Island?

No, but it's on my bucket list. I do have a friend who's gone and said it was lovely.

7. Who is your favorite LMM heroine?

Again, it's Emily of New Moon, at least so far. 

8. Who is your favorite LMM hero?

Ahhh, must you ask that? Who could it be other than Gilbert Blythe!? I adore him, but that might be because I adore Jonathan Crombie, may he rest in peace. He was perfect, in every way possible.

9. Do you have any fun merch related to her books?  If so, please share some photos!

Yes, amazingly enough, but it's just this magnet. I found it on Poshmark of all places and bought it in a bundle of things. It makes me happy.

10. What are some of your favorite LMM quotations?

These are all from Emily of New Moon.

“It had always seemed to Emily, ever since she could remember, that she was very, very near to a world of wonderful beauty. Between it and herself hung only a thin curtain; she could never draw the curtain aside-- but sometimes, just for a moment, a wind fluttered it and then it was as if she caught a glimpse of the enchanting realm beyond-- only a glimpse-- and heard a note of unearthly music.”

“You make me believe in fairies, whether I will or no," he told her, "and that means youth. As long as you believe in fairies you can't grow old.”

“I see you have a cat.” “Wrong.” Father Cassidy shook his head and groaned dismally. “A cat has me.”

“How beautiful it was, lying embowered in the twilight of the old trees; the tops of the loftiest sources came out in purple silhouette against the north-western sky of rose and amber; down behind it the Blair Water dreamed in silver; the Wind Woman had folded her misty bat-wings in a valley of sunset and stillness look at over the world like a blessing.”

1 comment

  1. I have never watched Road to Avonlea. Isn't that terrible? One day!

    I love Marilla more and more all the time. She is a wonderful, real character.

    What a cute magnet!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments, which I adore!