Manga Classics: L. M. Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables (2020)

Friday, January 29, 2021


Just a brief mention to the newly initiated, manga is supposed to read right to left (because manga is Japanese and this is how their language is penned). There is nothing wrong with the printing of the book even if it feels backward. There are instructions in the volume to help you read it correctly.

I've never read Anne of Green Gables, but I've watched the 1980s miniseries countless times so I know the story by heart and this darling manga captures the tale very well. The dialogue feels straight out of the miniseries, which as I understand it, is straight from the book. So great job there. The last 2/3 of the book felt rushed, but it's always possible that the original book moves along that fast too. As I said, I've never read it. All I know is that a "chapter" in Anne's life should be more than just a single manga page. I would have liked to see more of Gilbert Blythe, quite honestly, since he was so charmingly drawn.

The illustrations are overall of excellent quality and tell the story quite well with a few exceptions. 

1) I'm not sure what to make of characters' eyes going almost black when they're stunned or dumbfounded? I read manga and I've never really seen that happen to the same extent it does here, so that was odd.

2) Continuity issues with Anne's hair. Marilla cuts it super short after she dyes it green and her braids are back to being super long a few months later. That's impossible. Also, as she matured, she would have started wearing her hair up, not in braids anymore.

I'm really loving the idea of Manga Classics so far. My sister gifted me a copy of Romeo and Juliet and it's just truly lovely. I plan to read more Manga Classics as they are released.

Overall, a lovely manga that feels fairly faithful to a well-beloved story and will undoubtedly entertain readers. I think it's marvelous knowing that this is the only manga adaptation of Anne of Green Gables sanctioned by the Montgomery estate. It's a high-quality offering and I hope they consider a follow-up volume of Anne of Avonlea.

Many thanks to Netgalley and Udon Entertainment for providing the free ARC copy. I was not required to give a positive review, all thoughts are my own.

Anne of Green Gables

Original Author: L. M. Montgomery

Author: Krystal Chan

Artist: Kuma Chan

Year: 2020

My Rating:  ★★★★

2 comments

  1. I'm not a fan of anime or manga, but that is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't read much manga anymore, and the same with anime, but it's enthralling how the art form can be used to bring classic literature to life in a different format. It was really quite charming overall.

      Delete

Thank you for your kind comments, which I adore!