Read Jack Schaefer's Shane with Hamlette!

Saturday, February 6, 2016

http://theedgeoftheprecipice.blogspot.com/p/shane-read-along-index.html


I'm sure that most fans of classic film have at least watched Shane and while it's been at least 20 years since I've seen it, I am participating in this delightful read-along of the original novel hosted on Hamlette's blog. If you're anything like me you had no idea there even was a novel, but there was, written by a man named Jack Schaefer, and it's quite excellent. Not very long, only 16 chapters and my personal copy is 119 pages. We're going chapter by chapter, uncovering little nuggets and thoughts along the way, and it's delightful. We're up to chapter 10, but it's not too late for you to join in, which I heartily encourage people to do. I'm delighted to admit that I'm enjoying the novel so much since the film never really spoke to me. Of course, I was barely a teenager at my last viewing so I might want to give it another try. ❤

1 comment

  1. Carissa, I have to say that I think this is the best read-along I've done yet, in terms of the discussions we get going. I'm so surprised and pleased by that. I kind of decided to do this on the spur of the moment and didn't really have time to talk it up much, but it hasn't mattered at all, because we are having such a cool time with it. I'm so glad you joined up!

    And it's definitely not too late for people to join and catch up! Eva only joined us about a week ago, and she's actually read the whole book through once and is going back through it again now. It's so fast, deceptively so, because it has all that great complexity, but it's not difficult to read.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments, which I adore!