Book Review: A Girl Named Digit by Annabel Monaghan

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

A Girl Named Digit (Digit, #1)A Girl Named Digit by Annabel Monaghan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

So, here I am, at the end of a not-too-long journey with Farrah Higgins and John Bennett. Farrah, or rather Digit, is an exceptionally bright girl, mathematically gifted, and does everything she can to hide that proclivity from her fellow high school students. That is, until she uncovers the mode of communication by eco-terrorists via a stream of numbers at the beginning credits of her favorite show, or rather, the favorite show of her "best" friends. Before she has time to count the bumper stickers plastered to her walls one more time, Digit is whisked into protective custody, guarded by John Bennett who has the good fortunate to be a mere 21-years-old to her seventeen years. Cooped up alone together for a week, pouring over translations of telephone conversation transcripts, Digit and John unravel part of the mystery on how to track down the bad guys and save the day!

And that's just for starters! The rest you'll have to find out on your own because no one really likes spoilers. I know I don't!

What I will say is that while A Girl Named Digit is nothing mind-boggling, it's still a cute spy fluff piece that manages to be a little unique in that Digit is such a brainiac. And she is smart! Not when it comes to social skills or guys, but hey, no one's perfect. And all right, no FBI dude in his right mind would let a 17-year-old kid in his care drink a beer, but no one was looking, right? So, yeah, the entire plot is contrived and impossible, but then, so are the James Bond movies and Mission Impossible so this book really isn't stretching it all that far.

Annabel Monaghan has a good thing going for her. While this book doesn't make it into my 5 star reviews, it's still a fun read and I've already added her sequel to my anticipated reads for next year upon its release. Digit is fun, intelligent, and socially inept, in other words, your average teenager with a higher intellect tossed into the mix for fun. And yeah, there's a 4 year difference between Digit and John. Oh well, my parents have the same gap although, to be fair, they met when Mom was 19 and Dad 23. Digit turns 18 at the end of this book, however, so at least the creepy vibe won't be prevalent in the next volume. I just hope she doesn't overdo it with sensual content. You gotta draw the line someplace!

View all my reviews

2 comments

  1. Aw! This one sounds cute, Carissa - thanks for the great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is pretty cute and I hope you get a chance to read it someday. I only hope the sequel is at least as good.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments, which I adore!