Discovering the World of Art Restoration

Wednesday, August 11, 2021

At this point, it's probably been two weeks since I've watched anything requiring subtitles. So much is going on in my life right now, what with the house purchase, and other things, that my brain just rebels at the thought of watching something that requires me to read along.

Instead, as a form of decompressing every evening, my sister and I have started watching the Baumgartner Restoration YouTube channel. He's a professional art restorer and I love that he shares his work in this way. His restoration videos might only be 20 or 30 minutes or it might be a piece that takes 3 or even 5 videos to tell the entire story. One painting was done on wood and it was broken in several sections so that process spanned several videos.

If you're looking for something soothing to watch to help you unwind, then this might just be the channel for you. Some videos have narration, others are pretty much accompanied by classical music while you watch him clean and restore the artwork.

Below is one of my favorites, the restoration and cleaning of a painting of St. Francis.

Or there's this video series of his restoring a piece called A New Dawn. I'm especially amazed at how removing the old varnish and applying new varnish makes the paintings come alive!

May you enjoy discovering the magical world of art restoration!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your kind comments, which I adore!