Poetry Month Tag

Saturday, April 2, 2016



Hamlette at The Edge of the Precipice is hosting this poetry month celebration so I figured I might as well start out with tag. Maybe I'll be inspired to read more poetry than I have for the last couple of years. I loved poetry in college!

What are some poems you like?

I love Goblin Market by Christina Rossetti. I also enjoy Tennyson's The Lady of Shalott.

What are some poems you dislike?

I'm not partial to any of Emily Dickinson's work, at least not at this point.

Are there any poets whose work you especially enjoy?  If so, who are they?

Shakespeare . . . always.

Do you write poetry?

I haven't in the last few years, but did write some when I was in college. They received good grades and I enjoyed writing them, but I don't make a habit of it, although I am considering a return to poetic writing.

Have you ever memorized a poem?

Yes, The Quality of Mercy by Shakespeare and then The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost. There were others I memorized in school, but those are long forgotten now. 

Do you prefer poetry that rhymes and had a strict meter, or free verse?  Or do you like both?

I'm partial to both, although sometimes I find free verse to be distracting . . . unless I'm writing it, which means I'm a bit biased. *winks*

Do you have any particular poetry movements you're fond of?  (Beat poets, Romanticism, Fireside poets, etc?)(If you haven't got any idea what I'm talking about, that's fine!  You can check out this list for more info, if you want to.)

When I read poetry, it's usually by one of the British romantics like Byron or Tennyson or Keats. I do also love Christina Rossetti and Elizabeth Barrett Browning, although I'm not sure where they fall in the list.

4 comments

  1. Hi, enjoyed reading your answers! I should have added Rossetti to my post. We chose one of her poems for our wedding - 'How do I love thee...' Later found out it's often used at funerals??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!

      Okay, that's weird that poem would be used at funerals. Very bizarre and doesn't seem to match at all, but I guess to each their own.

      I'm planning a post on Rossetti sometime this month, just fyi. I'll make sure to share the link with Hamlette so folks can find it. :)

      Delete
  2. How interesting... I'm not a big fan of Emily Dickinson either. I mean, I like her okay, but a lot of her stuff just makes me go, "Okay, that's nice." It doesn't touch me, if that makes sense. And yet, I know loads of people that love her poetry! But she generally feels sort of detached and remote to me. Hmm.

    Responding a bit to the comment above, I could see Elizabeth Barrett Browning's "How do I love thee, let me count the ways" sonnet used at funerals because it ends with "and, if God choose,/I shall but love thee better after death."

    I'm not familiar with Rossetti's work, as far as I know -- I'll be ntrigued to learn more about her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, I just don't like how Emily Dickinson's poetry sounds. It doesn't fit together when I try to read it out loud. But my Dad loves her stuff, so to each his own, I guess.

      Rossetti's work is enchanting, very whimsical but with some allegorical messages too. It's beautiful.

      Delete

Thank you for your kind comments, which I adore!