Book Review: Like There's No Tomorrow by Camille Eide (2014)

Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Like There's No Tomorrow
Camille Eide
Ashberry Lane Publishers
2014
✯✯✯✯✯

Official Backpage Synopsis

 What if loving means letting go?

Scottish widower Ian MacLean is plagued by a mischievous grannie, bitter regrets, and an ache for something he’ll never have again. His only hope for freedom is to bring his grannie's sister home from America. But first, he'll have to convince her lovely companion, Emily, to let her go.

Emily Chapman devotes herself to foster youth and her beloved Aunt Grace. Caring for others quiets a secret fear she holds close to her heart. But when Ian appears, wanting to whisk Grace off to Scotland, everything Emily needs to protect—including her heart—is at risk.

Set in central Oregon’s high desert and the lowlands of Scotland, Like There’s No Tomorrow is an amusing yet heart-tugging love story about two kind, single caretakers, two quirky, old Scottish sisters bent on reuniting, and too many agendas. It’s a tale of family, fiery furnaces, falling in love, faith, and the gift of each new day.


 My Official Take in 3 Parts

The Theme
It's always hard to let people go, even when it's best for them. In Emily's case, she loves her Aunt Grace with every fiber of her being, to the point where it's hard for her to imagine a life without her. But what if Grace's place isn't in Oregon, but back home, in Scotland, with her sister Maggie?

For Ian, his letting go involves something quite different. Stagnating hatred and grief have crippled him emotionally for years due to a personal loss, and it's impacted his relationship with God, the God he once loved deeply and who took away his anger before. Ian must discover that some things, like his faith, are worth fighting for while others, like his bitterness, must be turned over to God.

I love this theme, the idea of releasing control into bigger, more capable Hands than our own. Loving doesn't always mean keeping, and the sooner we learn that the better. And then with Ian, he must release his anger in order to become whole again, to trust again. And I especially love how prayer plays such a huge factor in Ian's healing. Not prayer for himself, but a prayer of blessing for the person he hates. That type of prayer brings about healing every time.

The Characters
I thought I would struggle with Emily because she deliberately holds back information from her Aunt Grace. But I couldn't dislike her because I can see her point of view. When you want to protect people, the last thing you want to do is tell them something that could potentially lead to their harm, like elderly Aunt Grace making a trip to Scotland in her frail condition. So Emily hides information, all out of the sincere belief that she's protecting others, but she does reach the point of giving God the reins and it all works out for the best. She learns to trust, and I love that.

Ian I liked from the first, partly because he's Scottish, but also because he's a gentleman, through and through. He's considerate of the people around him, loves his family, and when he and Emily fall in love, he doesn't do it by halves. Plus, he's constructive in his anger. I would say that he manages the "be angry and sin not" instruction pretty well.

Ahhhh, the sisters. Grace and Maggie (the sister who Ian takes care of) are quite the pair. Both of them struggle with mental frailty, and Maggie's going blind to boot, but they're stronger together. I love that. It reminds me of my sister and our relationship and how I always feel that we're stronger together rather than apart. Grace and Maggie have it down. And while Maggie is far spunkier than Grace, she did a little bit of learning of her own this story, very important learning. Sometimes it's harder to accept help than to give it, and she finds that out.

The Writing
I do believe Camille Eide has a gift with character development. Her story is about real people with real problems and fears, and yet all of the characters felt relatable in some way. I could like each of them for their own strengths, because those strengths far outweighed any weaknesses. Yep, there's romance and gushing and all of that good stuff, but it's tastefully written and tender rather than coarse. Ms. Eide has a good handle on how far is just far enough with the physical attraction thing.Well done.

Final Thoughts

I don't read a lot of contemporary writing, frankly because I like historic fiction better, but Like There's No Tomorrow impressed me more than I thought possible. Problems aren't all wrapped up and solved with a neat little bow like most novels I read. Some things don't go away, but this book is a good reminder that we can't simply stop living because we're afraid that something might happen. God doesn't want His children to live their lives in fear and timidity and I cheered when Emily finally moved past her own fear and started considering her future.

Like There's No Tomorrow is a terrific read, and I'm forever indebted to the friend who loaned it to me, and also slightly envious because she knows the author online. Lucky lady!

9 comments

  1. What a well-thought out and indepth review, Carissa. I appreciate your articulating the themes and "reality" within the fiction. I think this is something many faith-based writers hope to achieve. While telling an engaging, entertaining story, of course. :)

    Thank you, and best wishes to you on your blogging and writing endeavors.
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Camille, that is so sweet of you to give a plug to my blog to your readers. I really appreciate that!

      On another great note, I've started reading Like a Love Song and I love it just as much, if not more, than the first book. I just know I'm going to be desperate for your next one. :)

      Delete
    2. That's good to hear, I think. ;) I'm eager to hear your final thoughts on Love Song.

      Delete
  2. Really enjoyed the interview with Camille. I have read Like There's No Tomorrow and I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Like There's No Tomorrow is a terrific read, one of my favorite ones this year so far. Camille has a real talent for storytelling. Thanks for commenting, Ann! :)

      Delete
  3. Well, you've sold me on another book, Carissa. Hunting this one down online :-) That theme of letting go of trying to control things is one I can really relate to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I struggle in that realm of "letting go" too so I think it was a really good read for me. I finished the 2nd book which I loved even more than this book. Now I just have to make time to review it!

      Delete
    2. Excellent! I've got them both on my B&N wishlist.

      Delete
    3. The audiobook version of Like a Love Song is in production now and will release soon. The narrator sounds wonderfully melodic and is terrific at keeping various voices distinct and consistent. Highly recommend Becky Doughty. :)

      Delete

Thank you for your kind comments, which I adore!