Is the ISFJ hard to understand?

Friday, March 28, 2014

Is the ISFJ hard to understand?

Yes, Ned the Piemaker from Pushing Daisies is, in fact, an ISFJ. He makes it into my top five favorite fictional ISFJs that include Captain America, John Watson, and Kevin Ryan from Castle. If anyone is hard to understand, it's Ned!

So, onto the question, is the ISFJ hard to understand? That entirely depends on how well you understand the ISFJ cognitive functions. Because Si is our top function we spend a whole of time living in the past. In fact, if we could wrap ourselves up in physical representations of our memories, then we would. In fact, I sort of do, judging by the classic movie posters on my walls and the unopened Elvis and James Dean collectible dolls on display on my bookcase. They're memories and whenever I see them, I'm reminded of what I love. If you can understand that part of an ISFJ, then you're halfway there. If you can't, it's probably because you're still trying to approach the ISFJ from your perspective instead of trying to see from our perspective.

The downside to Si being our top function is that it affects what we remember. I build associations with rooms and objects and places. If bad things have happened for me at a certain place, or near a certain object, I have a really difficult time coping if someone tries to get me to visit that place or be near that object again. Our fears run very deep and, for the most part, are buried under loads of good memories. That is, until something triggers those bad memories and then it can take days or weeks to recover from the sudden influx of emotion that only Si-Fe users experience on that level. When I'm overwhelmed with fear it's because my Fe doesn't know how to cope with my own emotions and it sends me into a downhill spiral.

And speaking of emotions, yes, the ISFJ can be very hard to understand sometimes. Everything in our lives is pretty much about where we ourselves have been and what memories we've created, or about helping, loving, and serving other people. We don't like self-evaluation (or at least I don't), because it reminds us of our flaws, and we especially dislike huge gushing overflows of our own emotion. When I feel too much, I get tight and tense because I don't know what to do with it and my Ti tells my Fe that I'm being weak by wanting to cry. So, I bottle it up, close down, and turn ice-cold until something forces me to feel and I finally let the emotions out. That's the way an ISFJ is designed, and in some ways, it sucks. Believe me, if you find us hard to understand, we have an even harder time understanding ourselves.

It all boils down to the length of time for the friendship or relationship. You're not going to understand an ISFJ right away, probably because the ISFJ isn't sure what you expect from them. We can be chameleons, changing ourselves to suit the people we're with because we want everyone to be comfortable. That means being genuine is very hard. You're not going to get to know an ISFJ overnight. It's just not going to happen.

The most important thing you can do is understand how the ISFJ ticks. If you stop expecting the wrong things from your ISFJ, then you'll start making progress.

6 comments

  1. Aw, I love Ned. He's a keeper. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is indeed that. I wonder if he would have ever gotten a happy ending with Chuck. They were so cute! I haven't watched that show in years. Maybe I should give it another go this summer.

      Delete
    2. If I remember right, because it got cancelled, there was kind of a "this is what happened..." commentary at the end and it suggested that he and Chuck did have a happy-ending. Hope so - as they were adorable together.

      I've seen some of the episodes more than once though haven't watched it all through a second time - and the latest rumors are that they'll make a musical film. Huh. Wonder what that'd be like!? ;)

      Delete
  2. I can’t say I understand the ISFJ. I understand their functions and sort of how they work together, but I can’t relate at all to the mental process so… yeah, for a non-ISFJ, your type is hard to grasp (but not any harder to grasp than any other type that isn’t… well, mine). But I’m grateful to be the one person you’re comfortable enough with that you’re totally yourself around me. That’s awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it does boil down to people understanding their own personality best. Perhaps understanding someone else's personality type is less about empathy with them and more about acceptance of their actions and reactions. Of course, some types still make irrational decisions and must be stopped or reined at if at all possible. Like The Performer. That type drives me nuts!

      Delete
  3. That's possible. I've reached a point where I can see the pitfalls and benefits of every type -- the ways they irritate me and the ways they delight me. It helps me be a little less judgmental about their decisions -- but just a little, mind. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments, which I adore!