Book Review: Captain Wentworth's Diary by Amanda Grange

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Captain Wentworth's Diary (Jane Austen Heroes, #3)Captain Wentworth's Diary by Amanda Grange
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book is exactly as it sounds; a diary from Captain Wentworth's perspective, the hero of Jane Austen's Persuasion. As most of my friends know, I don't go in for epistolary writing. Or Jane Austen-inspired fiction, for that matter. But . . . I couldn't resist! Wentworth is my second favorite of the Austen heroes, superseded only by Emma's Mr. Knightley.

Finding a diary from his perspective was pure heaven for two reasons.

1) I love the male perspective in literature. Heroines are usually the focus of most writers, but I've always loved novels from the perspective of the hero. I'm sure I have The Hardy Boys to blame for it, too. While all my friends were reading Nancy Drew, I was nose-deep in a book about my favorite brothers. So, yes, reading Persuasion from Wentworth's perspective appealed to me.

2) I always wanted to see how Wentworth and Anne met and wooed back in 1806! It never fully satisfied me to simply watch them become reacquainted. I needed to understand the background, their courtship, what first attracted him to her, and the circumstances surrounding their shattered engagement. This book erased any fondness I might have held for Lady Russell, but I enjoyed watching the drama unfold, listening in on the conversations between Lady Russell and Wentworth, particularly the final conversation before he leaves for 8 years. All that back-history satisfied a need in me to find out what happened.

I admit, the format of the book was not the most enjoyable. It's doubtful that men in the Regency era, or most men in general, take the time to write out their thoughts in a diary, particularly regarding entire conversations and scenes. If Ms. Grange had penned her story as an actual novel instead of in epistolary format, I would have loved it all the better. As it was, I still read Captain Wentworth's Diary in a single day, savoring every word, and loving him all the more for his emotional challenges. I finally feel as though I understand him, and he is as honorable a man as I already knew him to be.

For those complaining of the author using Ms. Austen's dialogue, there is no other way for Ms. Grange to have written the book. Imagine trying to rewrite conversations between Anne and Wentworth! It simply wouldn't have worked. As it is, the use of Austen's original dialogue lends an air of credence to the book itself, and helped me believe wholeheartedly in the author's conclusions about Captain Wentworth's character and emotions. As soon as I am able, I will hunt down Mr. Knightley's Diary followed by Colonel Brandon's Diary for I am sure they will be equally as excellent.

For the rest of my reviews, see my page HERE

5 comments

  1. Oh I love Captain Wentworth! Now I really want to read this book. Thanks for bringing it to your followers' attention. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't he magnificent!? If you do read it, I hope you enjoy it. I must have been in the mood for an Austen hero because it only took me a day to read cover to cover! :)

      Delete
  2. Wait... people complain because she used the actual conversations? DUDE! I would have been most annoyed if she had rewritten them -- imagine rewriting Wentworth's letter! The horror! If you are retelling a story, that's one thing, but this is supposed to be The Same Story, only from a different POV. Weirdos.

    Um... sorry if that's a little strong. Just... wow. Some people! Yeesh!

    Anyway, yeah, I find it really hard on the old suspension of disbelief to think that any of Austen's male characters would set down all this stuff in a journal, all the conversations and details -- but they're such fun books anyway that I don't care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *laughs* It's a good thing I wasn't drinking anything as I read this!

      I know, I thought these folks were a tad on the nutty side myself. Whatever were they thinking!?

      I came much to the same conclusion as you, that I just didn't care whether Wentworth would write a journal because I was so desperate to read the story from his perspective. At some point I'm going to read Susan Kaye's 2 novels about Wentworth. I've got the first one at home, but with the blog hop I might not actually get to it this month!

      Delete
    2. Ooooooh. More Wentworth? Oooooooooooh. Must investigate these Susan Kaye novels of which you speak.

      Delete

Thank you for your kind comments, which I adore!