Reading "Twilight" (Part 1)

Wednesday, March 14, 2012


I don't know what possessed me to try, but I'm determined to read Stephanie Meyer's series in its entirety. Twilight was on my reading list about 4 years ago and I did read it and enjoy it, but then I tried again a year later with the intention of reading all the books but quickly gave up. It just didn't interest me like it had the first time. Of course, that was also the time when all of the Twihards were coming out of the woodwork and terrifying me with their obsession. We won't mention that I'm just as obsessed about certain things myself. *cough, Sherlock, cough*

But I realized I needed to give the series another chance. I'm hoping to, I don't know, understand the appeal. I'm halfway through chapter 10 and here's what I've realized so far:


  • Writing Style
    • The book isn't as dreadful as I remembered which only strengthens my idea that I hated it before because it was such a huge success and the Twihards gave me the willies.
    • In fact, Twilight is very entertaining and an easy read which I've proven in that I only started it yesterday and I'm already over 200 pages in.
    •  Entertaining yes, but her grammar is still rudimentary at best.
    • If she had just toned down the "godlike" imagery of Edward a little bit it would have done wonders for the overall quality of the novel.
    • She uses far too many adjectives like "blackly" or "angrily" to describe Edward's reactions.
      • "His brow creased angrily for a moment, then smoothed  . . ." and "he chuckled blackly."
        • Take those adjectives away and the sentence is tighter and lets the reader decide on their own what Edward is feeling. Few readers like to have emotion dictated to them.
        • Oh well, her writing isn't perfect. Big surprise, but it's still a fun read.
  • Edward
    • The films have never and will never do him justice. I'd forgotten just how attractive book Edward is to the female psyche.
    • He thinks of Bella's safety before his own in a way we rarely see today.
    • He's courteous and gentle, funny and romantic.
    • In a word, there is NO WAY that I can connect book!Edward with film!Edward. It's like film!Edward is a mere shadow of the Edward Stephanie Meyer created.
  •  Bella
    • Where do I start?
    • I find it very hard to like Bella, for three reasons.
      • 1: She lies to her father about going to Seattle alone when she'll actually be spending the day with Edward. Edward thinks she should tell Charlie, Bella refuses. Not good since parents are put in our lives as a guiding light for a reason.
      • 2: Bella thinks, and I quote, "If I had to, I suppose I could purposefully put myself in danger to keep him close." Say what?!
      •  She's not good enough for Edward. Bella approaches the relationship from a selfish perspective while Edward, throughout their relationship, only tries to think of what's best for her. Hence the "she's not good enough for him" statement.
    • Sorry, I know some of this probably sacrilege, but I can't help it. Bella's entire behavior is one of neediness. I can forgive some of this because she's only 17, but then so is Edward so why is he more mature? After all, living for 100 years at the age of 17 doesn't mean any hormonal issues just float away.
    • So, Bella is highly imperfect and drives me crazy. Sometimes I sympathize with her and other days, like with that quote about putting herself in danger, I can see how she became so miserable in New Moon that she risked her life in order to see visions of Edward.
  • Conclusion up to Chapter 10 of Twilight
    • The film version of Twilight is dreadful.
    • Romance is at the heart of this novel. A desire to find true love, to be cherished by a man and pursued by him with honorable intentions. It's a beautiful dream and as a woman who sometimes feels like she's permanently single, I get the appeal of Edward. Note: married women who worship Edward creep me out so much I can't even describe the revulsion.
    • Let's just say that Edward's side of the romance is from an adult perspective and Bella's side is from the teenage angst perspective. Meyer's somehow managed to combine the two, which is why I respect Edward's love and have very little sympathy with Bella's.
    • Oh, and I am really liking Twilight, just in case you couldn't tell by my little critique. We'll see what happens throughout the rest of the book.

5 comments

  1. I should try and reread this at some point, but I do remember that my conclusion about Bella not being worthy of Edward was the same as yours. And yes, the movie is HORRIBLE in comparison, and not assisted by the WOODEN ACTING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did really well reading from Bella's perspective up to her sudden realization of love for Edward, which I tend to call pheromones since we know that's what he's exuding. But here's where Bella's youth starts getting in the way of an otherwise fun novel. Oh well. I often think the heroine isn't good enough for the hero in many books that I read so this was pretty much a guarantee, LoL.

      We'll see if your perspective has changed if you ever decide to read them again. :)

      Delete
    2. Bella reminds me of John Ridd, who also annoyed me:

      "He/she is so gorgeous... I am not worthy of them! He/she is so far and above me! I am swilth in comparison! Oh, their love for me astounds me, for I am muck on the green..."

      Kill. Me. Now.

      Delete
  2. The books are amazing and I must say I prefer them more than the movies, though I have all of those too. If you're not too thrilled about reading Twilight from Bella's perspective, there is a book called Midnight Sun that is from Edward's perspective. From what I understand, you can only really read half the book since she Stephanie Meyers hasn't finished it yet, but it's a really wonderful read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the books are far superior to the films. I think that's what has surprised me. I'd forgotten how completely different the two are. They almost can't be compared because the films are so dreadful.

      I had heard about "Midnight Sun" but I also heard that she's not going to finish it because the manuscript leaked. It's a shame really because I would have liked reading "Twilight" from Edward's perspective.

      Delete

Thank you for your kind comments, which I adore!