The Classics Club Spin

Monday, August 11, 2014

So, I joined The Classics Club several months ago and have yet to read a single classic. This might be as good a time as any to start. The spin works with me choosing 20 books from My List and labeling them as 1 to 20. I will do as the challenge suggests and pick 5 that I'm reticent to read, 5 that I'm dying to read, 5 that I'm neutral about, and 5 that will be re-reads for me. It seems that the challenge is sort of a 3 week per book reading schedule, which shouldn't be too hard to stick to.

The first spin is #17, which I looked up only after I created this list. I'm quite neutral about I Capture the Castle so we'll see how I like it. I have no opinion whatsoever going in!

  1. Bunyan, John: The Pilgrim's Progress (1678) 
  2. Dumas, Alexandre: The Man in the Iron Mask (1850) 
  3. Hawthorne, Nathaniel: The Scarlet Letter (1850)*
  4. Dickens, Charles: Little Dorrit (1857)
  5. James, Henry: The Portrait of a Lady (1881)
  6. Pyle, Howard: The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood (1883)*  
  7. Wilde, Oscar: The Picture of Dorian Gray (1890)* 
  8. Stoker, Bram: Dracula (1897)
  9. Conrad, Joseph: Heart of Darkness (1899)
  10. Wharton, Edith: The House of Mirth (1905)
  11. Leroux, Gaston: The Phantom of the Opera (1909) 
  12. Fitzgerald, F. Scott: This Side of Paradise (1920)
  13. Cather, Willa: Death Comes for the Archbishop (1927) 
  14. Woolf, Virginia: A Room of One’s Own (1929)
  15. West, Nathanael: Miss Lonelyhearts (1933) 
  16. Du Maurier, Daphne: Rebecca (1938) 
  17. Smith, Dodie: I Capture the Castle (1940) 
  18. Salinger, J.D.: The Catcher in the Rye (1951)
  19. Lewis: C. S.: Till We have Faces (1956)*
  20. Lee, Harper: To Kill a Mockingbird (1960)*

* Indicates a re-read.

4 comments

  1. From what I remember, "I Capture the Castle" is an eccentric, interesting little book, very quiet in many ways. Her family are all total lunatics... eccentric writer of a dad, a nudist artist stepmother, all perfectly potty people. There's a movie too, but it's hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, perfectly potty people often tell the most delightful stories. It'll be interesting to read, and I do think the library has the movie so I might give that a watch once I'm done reading it.

      Delete
  2. I seem to remember liking the movie... with Romola Garai, if I'm not mistaken. Excellent list, by the way; love the variety!

    I've tagged you in the latest Bucket List Tag. Feel free to join in if you'd like! =)

    Good luck with the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I do have quite a variety. It should be mostly fun with a few, "Why am I reading this!?" moments thrown in.

      Thanks for the bucket list tag! I do need to start a bucket list so this might be as good a time as any. :)

      Delete

Thank you for your kind comments, which I adore!