Hold On

Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Emergencies have a way of bringing out the best and the worst in people and I've had a taste of both experiences, from myself and from others. I tend to shut down if something bothers me. I reach the point of just not wanting to deal with an issue, so I just shut it away and pretend it doesn't exist. That's the wrong choice because it means things hit me right between the eyes if I've been deliberately ignoring them.

I feel like I'm drowning. And I hate it. Drowning in the boredom of working from home, of the reality that our world has changed, of the reality that I'm changing in a combination of good and bad ways. I'm becoming cynical regarding people but effervescent and bubbly in other areas, which doesn't make sense. I'm closing myself off, but also opening myself up. I'm disengaging and reengaging.

I have one word of encouragement to say to my readers. Don't make hasty decisions during the pandemic. Not about jobs, moving, relationships, etc. Just don't do it. This is a state of emergency no matter who might say something to the contrary, and this is not the time to be making long-term decisions. This is the time to give ourselves and others grace. For our flaws and our failings. For our fears and uncertainties. For our weaknesses. 

Sometimes you may be on the receiving end of something. If that happens, like it did with me, well, I don't know what to tell you other than it's probably not all you. Just, please try and take care of yourself. And don't judge yourself or others too harshly right now.


This is my new favorite music video in all the world, done by my two favorite JPop stars, Kamenashi Kazuya and Yamashita Tomohisa. They made it for their 2017 live-action drama series Boku, Unmei no Hito desu. Kame and Yamapi have been sort of paired together for 15 years, ever since they did a live-action series in 2005 that resulted in the hit song Seishun Amigo that took Japan by storm. They're both popular Japanese idols in the boy-band space, and once they performed together, the fans loved it. Reuniting them in 2017 for a new series was brilliant, and they're hilarious.

The MV is of the main song from their newer series, and it's just a lot of fun. Kame is the one with the longer hair and Yamapi the longer legs. When they're in school uniforms near the end, that's a nostalgic throw-back to their series in 2005 where they played high school students. I found this MV yesterday and it gave me such pure, unadulterated JOY. It was a relief to know I can still feel that much happiness. I hope it makes you smile and laugh, even if you have no context for who they are. This is a good way to introduce you.

2 comments

  1. Awww, I love the video. I've been watching tons of Korean shows on Netflix, and so occasionally I'll look up the KPop stars and watch their videos. It's kind of weird hearing Japanese when I've been so immersed in Korean, LOL! I'm like, this language isn't right! Hah. Anyway, it did make me smile. Just hang in there... not much else we can do right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LoL, my reaction would be the same if I started watching Korean shows! I tried a couple maybe 7 years ago (I took about a 6 year break in my love of J-dramas), and enjoyed them, but my heart really is for Japan. I'm glad you enjoyed the MV. It's super cute and just fun. I needed that in my life right now. And thanks for the encouragement. One day at a time.

      Delete

Thank you for your kind comments, which I adore!