The Bookshelf Tag

Saturday, April 11, 2015



I found this through Birdie over at Lady of the Manor and enjoyed reading hers so much that I decided to do it too. I wish I could say some of my books are in Dutch like hers, but sadly, that is not the case. I am a singularly English reader. *sighs*



Describe your bookshelf (or wherever it is you keep your books-it doesn't actually have to be a shelf!) and where you got it from:

So, the bookcase itself came from some store or other, likely Walmart or Target. The pile of books beside it is, sadly, homeless at the moment because my space is very limited and I just don't have room for a bigger bookcase. The little table on the far right was a birthday present some odd years ago from my parents. I love it because my books fit perfectly on the wooden brace in the center and the top of it is a lovely marble. It's a delightful little end table. When I have my own place, I'm upgrading to two full-size bookcases with lots of space to grow!

Do you have any special or different way of organizing your books?

I organize first according to size and then according to genre. All my small books go on the short shelf on top, starting with classics and finishing with Heartsong Presents romance novels that I never read anymore, but can't bear to part with yet. The second shelf is entirely comprised of Christian fiction, all paperbacks, and my collection has outgrown that shelf, hence the stack on the floor. The bottom shelf is mostly classics, but with some oddities thrown in like my David Pirie novels about Arthur Conan Doyle and Dr. Bell that really fit nowhere else. I'm dreaming about those two big bookcases right now!



What's the thickest (most amount of pages) book on your shelf?

My most impressive copy of The Lord of the Rings is this one, all in one volume, and illustrated by Alan Lee. Needless to say, it has a TON of pages.


What's the thinnest (least amount of pages) book on your shelf?

This little book is actually a poem by Christina Rossetti. Goblin Market is hardback, but doesn't have very many pages and is by far the thinnest book in this part of my collection.


Is there a book you received as a birthday gift?

My parents gave me the complete collection of Sherlock Holmes stories at least 10 or 12 years ago for my birthday. This is still my only complete set of his stories.



What's the smallest (height and width wise) book on your shelf?

That actually turned out to be my copy of Screwtape Letters. I thought for sure I had a smaller book somewhere, but apparently not on these shelves. 


What's the biggest (height and width wise) book on your shelf?

I'm going solely by height and depth. My copy of The Hobbit sticks out farther than The Lord of the Rings and is more than a scootch taller. It's a bit annoying, actually, because it makes the bookcase look lopsided.

Is there a book from a friend on your shelf?

I own a Michael Buble coffee table book and an I Love Lucy coffee table book, both given to me by very dear friends!

Most expensive book?

Probably my Lord of the Rings with Alan Lee illustrations. It was a Christmas gift from my parents, but I know it was a pretty penny.


The last book you read on your shelf?

It was The Covered Deep by Brandy Vallance. I'm afraid I crunched the edge of the book a little bt today, entirely on accident. Oops! You'll find the review in my last blog post.

Of all the books on your shelf, which was the first you read?

It's likely one of the Heartsong Presents romances. Either Edge of Destiny or The Rising Son by Darlene Mindrup. I loved those when I was a teenager, so romantic.

Do you have more than one copy of a book?

Yes, I did own multiple copies of some Jane Austen books, but no longer. Those extra copies went to the thrift store. I do, however, own three copies of The Lord of the Rings. My first paperback set that is now ragged and gnarly and not pictured here because it's in the basement, my 2nd paperback set that hasn't really been touched and my Alan Lee illustrated set that's heavier than you would believe.



Do you have the complete series of any book series?

Woohoo for Narnia by Lewis!


What's the newest addition to your shelf?

I add new books regularly since I blog for publishers, but it's probably On Shifting Sand by Allison Pittman, also reviewed this month on my blog. Just look back a few posts.

What's the most recently published book on your shelf?

It would be the same as above, the Allison Pittman book. Published this month, I think.


The oldest book on your shelf (as in, the actual copy is old)?

There isn't an actual date in my copy of Ivanhoe, which surprises me. It's not really an old book, but I'm assuming sometime in the 1950s or 60s. For me, that's old. We do have antique books downstairs, but those are mostly my sister's books.


A book you won?

A Match Made in Texas is a really fun read. It has stories by Karen Witemeyer, Regina Jennings, Mary Connealy, and Carol Cox in it, all delightful. And I did win it in a giveaway on Goodreads!


Most beat up book?

I'm not sure you can tell, but my copy of Fahrenheit 451 is pretty gnarly. The cover is hanging almost by a thread, but I can't stand to part with this copy. I love the book so much!

A book from your childhood?

I couldn't actually find it to take a photograph, which makes me sad, but I still have The Princess and the Goblin by George Macdonald that I loved so much as a child. What a precious story!

A book that's not actually your book?

Not in any of my photos, but my nightstand has a copy of Come Fly with Me by Beverly Delich about Michael Buble. My friend Lynn loaned it to me last month and this reminds me that I need to actually read it!

A book with a special/different cover (e.g. leather bound, soft fuzzy cover etc.)?

Nope, none that I could find. They're all basic books.


Book that's been on your shelf the longest that you STILL haven't read?

The road to hell is paved with good intentions, so they say. I still haven't gotten around to finishing Jane Eyre. Rochester started calling her Janet and that was all she wrote for me. I will try again someday, just not yet.

Any signed books?

My Brandy Vallance book is signed because I met the author at a Christian bookstore.

2 comments

  1. I dream of owning a copy of LOTR with Alan Lee illustrations. One day!!!

    I used to have that same collection of Sherlock Holmes stories! Ended up passing them along to my sister-in-law when I got a hardcover set.

    And I have that same copy of Fahrenheit 451 :-D

    But... but... you don't like how Mr. Rochester calls Jane Eyre "Janet"? Why? I have to admit, that's probably the most unusual reason I've heard of for not finishing JE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun to see you've also posted this Carissa!
    Having books in multiple languages is fun, but I think I'd recommend you to learn French or Spanish (or Chinese?) before learning Dutch to get a multi-language bookshelf. Might come in a little more handy (Unless you want to move to The Netherlands or Suriname?)

    I love your Tolkien books, they're so pretty. I always feel Alan Lee really understood Tolkien's world so well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments, which I adore!