3 Reasons why When Calls the Heart needs Pastor Frank

Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Photo Credit: Hallmark Channel

While I haven't been a Heartie since the very very beginning, I did join in season 2 because one of my very dear friends urged me to try When Calls the Heart. I loved the 1st season, and while I haven't always agreed with every choice made concerning the direction of the show, I've been loyal for the past 4 years, loyal enough that I attended the HFR2 with that same good friend. 

I got to meet Mark Humphrey at the HFR2 and listen to him speak and share his heart about how strongly he connected with the character of Pastor Frank because of circumstances in his own past. I saw a genuine, charismatic man who glowed in the light of When Calls the Heart and let that light shine into the show itself. Hearties like myself relate to Pastor Frank because Mark Humphrey made him so relatable. 

Do you remember this interview Connie Wang held with Mark in 2015 on Parade? 

He describes Pastor Frank as a, "a genuine, honest, good man who has dedicated himself to God's work. He's been through a lot of turmoil in his rough past and found salvation."

Wow. I mean, WOW!

There's something precious about a pastor who found his way to God after running away from Him for so long.

Which begs the question of why? Why has Pastor Frank been written off When Calls the Heart

The writers and producers of When Calls the Heart have always made themselves accessible to the Hearties, which is an amazing gift, first of all. And second of all, bolsters my hope that someone may actually give Pastor Frank fans such as myself a straight answer. From all I've heard, Mark Humphrey is a great guy and was willing to continue with the show. 

What happened and can it be undone?

3 Reasons why When Calls the Heart needs Pastor Frank:


1)  Without a pastor, the church is just a schoolroom. Pastor Frank shepherded the flock in Hope Valley and without him, they have no spiritual leader. That building was intended to be a church and a school, but in the 5th season, it's been just a school. Hope Valley needs Frank to grow the faith of the Hope Valley citizens on a personal level.

2)  There's not enough leading men in When Calls the Heart to begin with and then we lose 2 men in the same season. 

3)  Abigail deserves another happy ending. And Frank is the best man we've met so far who can give her that with gentility, grace, and faith. Especially now that Bill Avery and AJ have such a tangible and fiery "thing" going on (LOVE her btw).


The crux of my opinion really is that I want to see more Christian faith, not less. I'm in the middle of rewatching When Calls the Heart's 1st season, and the Christian faith is abundant, authentic, and loving.

Please, bring Pastor Frank back to Hope Valley. We need him.

Blessings to my fellow Hearties, the cast and crew of our favorite show, Papa Heartie, and those at Hallmark.

4 comments

  1. Our family just started "binging" WCTH a few weeks ago and are almost caught up in time for season 6. I agree, Pastor Frank is (was) an important part of the show. Any updates on why he was let go? Any clue as to if he'll be back?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when calls the heart
    We need more TV shows like this
    They need to bring pastor Frank Hogan back give Abigail another chance
    We lost Jack pastor Frank Hogan and Abigail are you better get some more good people playing I do show will go down the hole and I loved it like I said

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said! I have not watched any seasons of When Calls The Heart past Season 6, and frankly I'm not so sad about that. The early seasons were the best, Pastor Frank (and Mark) being one of the main reasons for that. Frank was such a big part of Hope Valley when he was around and it's a big loss in my opinion not to have him there anymore.
    Another thing is his departure was never really addressed properly in the show. Especially with Abigail too. No one really mentioned him at all, which is devastating, frustrating and frankly quite annoying.
    He and Abigail will always be special to me, and anyway haha I thank you for creating this- I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who feels this way!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments, which I adore!