Thursday, March 10, 2016

2016 Christian Theatrical Releases: Part 1



Now, if you're anything like me, you have no idea when Christian films are coming to a theater near you. Literally you have to be sitting in a Christian movie before it starts, watching the trailers, to figure out what's coming next. So in an effort to keep everyone informed so we can support these film-makers when their movies hit theaters, here's a small smattering of currently-in-theater and upcoming movies, some with surprisingly big-name stars as I think you'll find. The best thing about this is, as I go to see these movies, I'll see MORE trailers for other Christian movies coming out later this year and can post about those! Yay!

If you're interested in any or all of these movies, I encourage you to go opening night, if possible, or definitely opening weekend. That first weekend really is crucial to a movie's success, and definitely crucial for Christian film. I saw Risen twice on opening weekend and dragged family and friends with me both times. It was awesome!

One thing I promised God this year is that I would make much more of an effort to see Christian films in the theater. Honestly, I've been really bad and lazy about that in the past and there's no excuse for it. I started with Risen and hope to see all 4 of these other movies too. Will you join me? ❤


RISEN (2016, PG13)
(in theaters now, showtimes at Fandango)

As you already know, Risen is in theaters right now and hasn't had a half-bad run. I loved it, which my blog post HERE pretty much shouts to the world. It's always a good sign when I cry in a movie for all the right reasons. It stars Joseph Fiennes, Tom Felton, and Peter Firth, all fairly major name British actors and is AMAZING. If you haven't see it, GO.


The Young Messiah (2016, PG13)
(in theaters March 11th 2016, showtimes at Fandango)

Now this one I think has terrific potential. I haven't seen it yet, obviously since it hits theaters this weekend, but Sean Bean looks promising and I really don't think you often see stories about a young Jesus. I'm not sure about the little boy they cast as Jesus, but hey, child actors often surprise me with the depth of talent and emotional range they can possess. What a great film to try and see with your family before Easter!


Miracles from Heaven (2016, PG)
(in theaters March 16th 2016, showtimes at Fandango

Now this trailer I've seen 3 times now and am moved by it every single time. This is a remarkable story because it's true and you can choose to either believer it or not, but I know miracles exist and so I get shivers every time I watch this trailer. Plus, having big names like Jennifer Garner and Queen Latifah doesn't hurt either. I think this one will be an amazing release and well worth seeing.


God's Not Dead 2 (2016, PG)
(in theaters April 1st 2016, showtimes at Fandango)

Okay, so a friend of mine attended a special pre-showing of God's Not Dead 2 and was blown away by it, literally blown away. I confess that I haven't seen God's Not Dead, but the sequel looks amazing and with my friend's praise behind it, plus the quality of the trailer, well, I'm very encouraged. Do you recognize good old Ray Wise from Agent Carter? Plus, who DOESN'T love the Newsboys? Come on, that is an amazing song and speaks such truth!


Union Bound (2016, PG)
(in theaters limited release on April 22nd 2016, showtimes at Fandango)

Now this one I only know about because of a poster on the bulletin board at work (one of the perks of working at a Christian non-profit!). I'm more interested in the story synopsis which reads "The amazing true story of Joseph Hoover, a Union Soldier who was captured and then aided by slaves and finds freedom" than I am in the trailer to be honest. But I am intrigued and hope there will be some showtimes in at least one of my local theaters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...