Sunday, October 25, 2015

What would you have me write?



I've done two things tonight: redesigned my blog template and moved almost all of my MBTI posts to draft.

Regarding the first, it was waaaaaaay past time for a change. I don't like keeping the same blog design forever, but for some reason I felt obligated to keep the last one because I spent money on it. This one only cost me my time, and I love it so I guess you could say the change was definitely worthwhile. I can also promise a Christmas layout as soon as December hits and then a winter theme once January rolls around!

Now, about the second change. I almost never study up on Myers-Briggs stuff anymore. I'm by no means an expert on the subject and I don't want to give people that impression any longer. Plus, I really tire of those being the only popular posts on my blog 90% of the time. So they're gone. Not deleted. I might someday feel differently and decide to republish them, but for now, I want them off my blog so I don't feel like I'm representing myself as something that I'm not.

In other news, I've actually read a collection of short stories by James Thurber over on my other blog Bookshelves & Daydreams. For those of you who are unaware, Thurber wrote The Secret Life of Walter Mitty and since I just watched both movies for that fun blogathon a few weeks ago, I felt I should at least read the short story. Which I now realize is a short story. Try going into a collection of short stories thinking they're a novella. It's preeeeetttty confusing!

Really, you could say there's been some good things and some sad things in my life this past month. My Aunt Janet who I loved very much passed away a few weeks ago. Which is why I wasn't really blogging much this month. And why I didn't participate in the Hamlet read-along over at The Edge of the Precipice. Sorry, Rachel, I totally meant to read with you, but with my aunt's death I lost a lot of motivation to do anything. This set of short stories by Thurber is the first thing I've finished reading in nearly a month and even they took me a good week to finish. It's a good thing I wrote those entries on Walter Mitty and Little Miss Marker a week beforehand or they would have never gotten finished.

On a positive note, my department at Compassion International hired on 25 or so new employees, some temps, some permanent. It was an addition way past due, and I'm very, very happy to have them. Of course, I'm a tad worn out with all the socializing with new people, but so far they're all very nice and upbeat.

What I really mean to say is that life will continue on. I'll start blogging again, although I really would love it if you would give me some post ideas. What do you like hearing about from me? At the moment, giving me ideas is one of the most helpful things you can do. But it is nice to be back with everyone, and with a new blog template to boot!

7 comments:

  1. I like your header. It's very pretty. =)

    Blogging... is a challenge. I think that sometimes we get caught up in wanting to please, so we write posts about things that are not our passions. Or we become frustrated because the posts we care about the least are the most popular. Like you, I'm struggling to know what to do with my blog. I want to blog about certain things, but I doubt anyone will care; but true passion requires blogging about what YOU care about. And true passion wants to talk about what it's doing and loving and caring about, regardless if others care.

    In short, I don't know what you should blog about, except that it should be whatever YOU care about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty, isn't it!? :)

      I've pretty much decided on an overhaul of what my blog will represent. I feel it's time for a change. I'm actually a very unique individual in how I choose to live my life and why, and I want to share those reasons with anyone that might stumble on my blog. I'll probably lose some readers, but I don't want to keep writing posts that I don't think will have any sort of lasting impact. That's not what the Lord wants from me and it's not what I want to give Him. And I think that because this change actually makes me happy, then it's the right one to make, regardless of how popular it will be.

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt :-( You have my sympathy. Don't worry about not joining the read-along -- I did kind of wonder where you went, but I wasn't annoyed at you or anything.

    I wonder if it's an ISFJ thing to resist change on a whole, but once committed to a change, just totally revamp everything? I'm like that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, I was annoyed at myself enough for the both of us. I am planning to read the play in November and then I'll comment on some of your posts. But I did feel really bad because I had every intention of participating until life threw me a little bit of a curve ball.

      I do miss my aunt. We weren't very close of late, but she was always special to me. I didn't really expect her to die so quickly. She was only 76 and thought would have had many good years left.

      Yeah, once I decide to change something, it's totally changed. The old is passed away, the new has come. I was the same way with my Japanese interest. It was a blazing passion for maybe 2 years, and now I have no interest in it at all. It obviously wasn't long-lasting.

      Delete
    2. Well, then I look forward to your future comments :-) I fell off my self-imposed posting schedule over the past two weeks, so we might not finish it by the end of the month -- we'll see.

      Delete
  3. OH! And posting ideas:

    How did you get into doing fancy teas?

    What are some books and movies people might be surprised to learn you like? (For instance, I really love Dwayne Johnson movies, which people find weird.)

    What were your favorite books when you were a little kid? When you were a tween? When you were a teen?

    What are some fictional themes that really draw you? The things that push your buttons, so to speak? (Like, I love stories about "found families," about people proving themselves, about con artists, about May-December romances, about amnesia...)

    Okay, I've run out of ideas for now. Hope those spark something that interests you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, I like these blog post ideas. Every one of them is something I could use, and I definitely have some interests and hobbies people would find unique. Thanks for helping spark my muse!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...