Sunday, August 30, 2015

So endeth NBC's Hannibal . . . and not a moment too soon!!!!!!



How is it possible for me to start out really liking a show, its psychological facets, its cleverness, its intellectual dialogue, only to reach the very last episode, the final moment of the entire series, willing it to JUST END ALREADY. That is the culmination of my relationship with NBC's Hannibal.

And why, might you ask?

Because all of the characters, bar none, became Hannibal in the end. Did you catch what I just said? THEY BECAME HANNIBAL. We're talking Will Graham, the supposed hero of Red Dragon. We're talking Jack Crawford and Alana Bloom, who were once the good guys. Every single one of them became dead inside. Hannibal literally killed them, not physically, but morally, mentally, and spiritually, they are dead. I mean, in this last episode, they let COPS DIE so their little plan to catch the freakin' Red Dragon would come to fruition! EFFIN' HEROES DON'T DO THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

artwork by Loakenshield (Girl of Gisborne)
The only one who wasn't a dead man walking was Francis Dollarhyde, the Red Dragon, played, if I may say, brilliantly by Richard Armitage. Or maybe I was just so starved for SOMEBODY to show some EMOTION that anyone would have worked in that role. No, I'm not going with that angle because I know Armitage can act. I've been watching him act for years, have loved him for years, and so he alone impressed me in this 3rd and THANK GOD final season.

Okay, so now you know one reason for my sudden and very effective loathing for this once great series.

Now on to the 2nd reason. I thought, back at the beginning, that all of the little Hannigraham fans were sick and twisted and that it would lead to a big fat nowhere. Not so. Okay, so there were no sexual scenes of a homosexual nature between Will and Hannibal (not counting, of course, the ones between Alana and Margot Verger). But you know what? There didn't have to be! The insinuation was enough all on its own, especially in this last season, especially in this last episode.


SPOILERS

Not that I want to be nice and warn you of spoilers, but I will because, after all, it is the accepted thing to do. 


Because of Will and Jack's scheming to catch Dollarhyde (Red Dragon), Hannibal is let loose, with Will is his keeper. Yeah, right, like that would ever work! Red Dragon catches them, shoots Hannibal, sets merry hell loose on Will including stabbing and maiming and yet somehow Will's still alive. Hannibal, in all of his pent-up sexual frustration, leaps to the rescue of his beloved protege, not meaning Dollarhyde, but Will. Together, they take down the Red Dragon (a scene that actually made me a little sad because I'd reached the point of liking Dollarhyde most out of all the characters). Will stabs him in the chest, Hannibal rips out Dollarhyde's throat with his teeth, and the Great Red Dragon falls to the ground, defeated.

Gasping and bloody and bruised, Will extends a hand to Hannibal and Hannibal pulls him up. 

Looking at the extremely nasty and blood-soaked courtyard, Will murmurs, "It really does look black in the moonlight."

Hannibal responds, blood dripping down his chin so attractively (SARCASM), "See, this is all I ever wanted for you, Will. For both of us."

Tears welling in his eyes, lips parted in longing, Will manages, "It's beautiful" before leaning his head against Hannibal's shoulder and wrapping his arms around his back.

To which Hannibal throws his head back, eyes fluttering closed, apparently the most aroused he's been in weeks, maybe years (considering he's been in prison, that's likely).

Will tightens his grip, and together they plunge off the side of the bluff into frigid waters below.

 END SPOILERS

WHAT? I mean, WHAT THE BLOODY HELL?!?!?! So Hannibal's dream, from the moment he first encountered Will Graham, was for them to kill people together, bathe in blood, and stare longingly into one another's eyes? Oh my GAWD.

AND WHAT ABOUT WILL'S WIFE? That sweet little woman and her adorable son who he took it upon himself to love, honor, and cherish!? JUST, someone, please SHOOT ME NOW.

It's official. I wash my hands of anything and everything that is in danger of being labeled "sensually psychological and provocative" words that have all been associated with this program. 

When I first started watching Hannibal it was compelling. Will Graham was different from Alana Bloom who in turn was different from Jack Crawford and all of them were different from Hannibal Lecter because they were the good guys and he was EATING PEOPLE. I could cheer for Will, hold my breath when he was in danger, wince when he was eating food in Hannibal's house because he was doing so unawares. As soon as he knew about Hannibal, was released from prison, and started participating in Hannibal's lifestyle, that's when the writers lost me.

And now, NOW, these moronic writers turned a terror, the nightmare of children and adults alike, into an erotic plaything! What kind of justice is that to an otherwise brilliant character!? 

It's over. And I intend to never re-watch a single episode of this show, not even the first season which was excellent. Not even for Armitage will I deign to lower my personal standards and expectations to the level of the filth and contrivance and absolute load of tripe these writers have dished out.

NBC, WHY DIDN'T YOU CANCEL AFTER SEASON TWO!?

You would have saved me a whole lot of freakin' misery!

5 comments:

  1. I'm still chewing on my thoughts on this conclusion and may or may not spit it out in the form of a blog post, but... I suppose the finale's resolution can be seen in different ways dependent on what you want to read into it. The first scenario is that Will has indeed become Hannibal, consented to murder, found total fullness in committing murder with his dark master, and can now die content... the second is that Will felt the void of darkness hovering over him, emotionally sensed Hannibal's vulnerability, preyed on it by appealing to his greatest desire (affirmation, shared experience), and then wrapped his arms around him and fell to his death -- his last act one of redemption, in carrying the monster to his demise.

    I do agree, though, that the total lack of emotions from anyone this season is what truly killed it; there was no human element anymore and all that was left is a void. However unintentionally, the series completed its arc of total ... nothingness... a void, for that is what Hannibal has always been, as an individual -- an emotionless void.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say it's the last scenario, otherwise Will wouldn't have done what he did. His act of falling over the edge with Hannibal was very intentional, just like Hannibal letting himself fall. Of course they're probably still alive judging by that insane final 20 seconds within the credits. So who knows that what that even means!

      Really though, I hated it. This last season has been a waste of my time, when it wasn't boring it was offending me. I'm now quite happy to move on to other, hopefully more edifying, things.

      Delete
  2. You know, it's not good to repress your feelings. Let them out. ;)

    Fuller's post-finale interviews hinted that Hannibal's uncle, from which he learned his bad habit, and his aunt Lady Murasaki might be around and possibly paid a visit to Bedelia in the hope of luring Hannibal out of hiding, if he is alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had enough of dark stories that end in evil. It's not healthy for me, no matter how much I try to fool myself into thinking otherwise. I probably won't even finish The Blacklist because it is just a bit too dark. This type of story has no positive outcome, only the complete and utter destruction of a man who was once a hero, and that grieves my heart.

      Delete
    2. The original Will Graham was a hero, but I'm not convinced this Will ever was... he was a man teetering on the brink of mental insanity from the beginning. So perhaps it isn't the destruction of a hero, but the evolution of a would-be villain?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...