Book Review: Unrivaled by Siri Mitchell (2013, 3 stars)

Monday, September 1, 2014

Unrivaled by Siri Mitchell
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

In Lucy Kendall's life, all should be perfect, but it's just not. She wants to be involved in her father's candy company, especially now that his health is failing so dreadfully, but he wanted her to have better opportunities, and her mother is most insistent that Lucy become a lady and marry well instead. The notion doesn't seem so bad when she meets a charming young man entirely by chance and then keeps him encountering him. At least, he seems an ideal choice for her esteem until she discovers that his name is Charlie Clark and he is, in fact, the son of the man who stole her father's original candy company that makes Royal Taffy and has profited mightily from it.

Charlie himself is drawn to Lucy more deeply than he imagined possible. Having only recently joined the father who left him, his mother, and siblings in the lurch so many years ago, Charlie is unfamiliar with the animosity and rivalry between the Kendalls and the Clarks. What he is used to is the gang mentality of Chicago where he came from, and it displeases him to see some of the same tactics being used in St. Louis, albeit on a smaller scale, both from his father, and from Lucy who thinks herself a Christian.

Charlie is torn. Lucy is torn. It seems there is no hope for this couple to find true love, but of course, they must, because there's no other option.

Unrivaled is a very cute book. I liked Lucy most of the time, liked Charlie all of the time, and absolutely loved the setting, and of course, there is a happily ever after. I will say that the book cover totally threw me. It in no way, shape, or form reflects the story between the pages. There should have been candy making somewhere on that cover because Lucy prefers spending time in the kitchen swathed in an apron stirring candy syrup than all dolled up. The cover, beautiful as it, is not an accurate representation of the story.

Ultimately, while I liked the book, about halfway through it started getting repetitive. The same scenes, the same types of conversations, and I totally did not buy how Lucy's fiancé disappeared from her life. That felt dreadfully contrived. So, only 3 stars for me, and I wish it could have been more. I do like Siri Mitchell's writing a lot, this one just felt too forced. Maybe next time!

View all my reviews

2 comments

  1. This one wasn't a book "for me" either. It just didn't read well, however I've heard great things about Siri's books, so perhaps I'll give a different one from her a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid it was very much a "meh" novel. Which is sad because I have read some of her other books and loved them. I mean, Love Comes Calling is adorable on so many levels, so long as you remember the heroine is supposed to be indicative of someone with ADHD. It was a delightful read. She just went wrong with Unrivaled somehow. Here's hoping her next one is better.

      Delete

Thank you for your kind comments, which I adore!