Friday, June 1, 2012

The Oxford Murders - A Bit of Truth


When did people start doubting that absolute truth exists? Was it the intellect of Darwin that started that ball rolling or something else? In spite of the murder and the mayhem in The Oxford Murders that movie still boils down to one interesting "truth" that everything is "fake" therefore there is no actual truth. Even numbers are unreliable. This is the ultimate premise of one of Elijah Wood's newest films (note aqua blue hobbit eyes above).

Truth. Apparently it's a touchy subject nowadays. People either pick their own truth (which seems to be the most popular) or they're denying the existence of truth altogether. It's foolish really. I'm not a mathematician. Half of the theories presented in this movie sailed completely over my head and I just waved at them as they went by. Why pretend to be something I'm not? But I do know a little something about truth. It's not subjective.

Truth isn't subjective.

It's not based on what I'm feeling at any given moment.

Good heavens, imagine if truth was only truth based on what I felt or imagined or believed? This is why I can read the Bible and sometimes feel like fighting it every step of the way. If truth was subjective than I could merely pick and choose my "truth" without any emotional struggles or the need to make any corrective changes in my behavior. But truth hurts. It hits you over the head. People die of cancer. Airplanes crash. Tsunamis wipe out entire towns. People use tragedy as an argument against God when really tragedy is the simplest proof of His existence. Sin entered the world through Adam and Eve and the world has been imperfect ever since. It's flawed and tainted and the euphoric belief that if everyone just "got along" then everything would be fixed, is a lie. It's an impossible idea because humanity is sinful and we will always commit sinful and evil acts. It's in our nature. It's not how God wanted us to be but it is how we made ourselves. Isn't it remarkable how He still manages to love us? I'm awed by that every time I think of it.

So, the idea that truth can't be known or that it is subjective is false. Except that all those mighty and intellectual minds who created these notions in the first place will never see the errors of their ways. They have blinders on. In this regard I'm not sure arguing with them would even make a whit of difference, not unless you were on the intellectual scale of C.S. Lewis and knew your stuff. Which I'm not and I don't and I would never claim to be.

There we have my theological ramblings for the day. You know something? John Hurt is an amazing man. He manages to spew forth all of that garbage convincingly and I can see how people would believe him. Elijah Wood. Well, I must restrain myself from gushing. I'm a fangirl from way back when. Only it's lain dormant for several years so I'm resisting the urge to awaken it again. Let's just say that Elijah has developed into a fine actor. He was always excellent even as a small child but The Oxford Murders gave me a completely different view of his skills. He's remarkable and made me realize I should watch some of his newer movies that I'd always labeled as "oddball."

I won't recommend The Oxford Murders. There are some disturbing scenes of violence but more than that there is a lot of language (which, I'm sorry to say, I've grown halfway immune to) and a love scene. Why is it that the woman can be naked, showing her ***** and everything while the guy still wears his underwear? I don't think sex works with the man in his underwear! Still, there never was a happier person than when Elijah backed up and I was prepping myself to close my eyes and then noticed he had black boxers on. Thank goodness for a little bit of sense on someone's part. So, the sexual stuff was totally unnecessary and the language could be a bit extreme depending on what you're used to. Watch it if you must, knowing what's in it. It's an amazing film. I may even, after giving it some thought for a month or two, add it to my collection.

2 comments:

  1. I don't remember anything about the theology of this film. I did review it at some point, so I hunted up what I had to say about it. I thought it was good in some aspects, not in others. Bad character development. No growth between them. Too much exposition in places, not enough in others. Rather unbelievable all around (the police just let a kid and a professor solve crimes?).

    If we make it so there are no absolute truths, then we don't need to claim that God exists. The flaw in this argument is that when you strip away absolute truths, you have to strip away common morality -- so what makes murder wrong? or stealing? or rape? If the person doing it doesn't think it's wrong, does that make it right?

    Watch "Rope" by Alfred Hitchcock sometime. It tackles the theory of non-absolute truth and reveals that when it comes right down to it, even the most professing atheist is likely to fall back on absolute truths of right and wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must have been blinded by Elijah's blue eyes to care that much about the lack of character development (which it really did lack). How does he make the F word sound like a caress? Creepy!

      If there is no absolute truth than there is no right or wrong, period. That's the side of a lack of truth that professors and intellectuals never want to face. Regardless of what we want, a world where everyone just gets along, that's never going to happen. You can't remove the belief in absolute truth from people and even those intellectuals who denounce it so highly still believe in a truth of some sort because there are some things even they would never think of doing on moral grounds.

      Rope is going on my Netflix queue!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...