Sherlock Holmes Corrections

Friday, May 25, 2012



Looks like I should probably clarify a few things about my previous Sherlock Holmes posts. :-)

You know the ones, where I prefer the recent films to Sherlock?

As it turns out my opinion really wasn't set in stone. Makes me wonder if I should hold off on posting certain thoughts until I've given them a few weeks to simmer. In this case the new Downey Jr. film makes me nervous and uneasy because of the gay overtones. Yes, they are there and no, I don't like them. They became more obvious to me the more I thought about them and within a few months I realized I likely would never watch Game of Shadows again.

Now, I know that people are going to make assumptions about their gayness or straightness regardless of what movie or tv series we're talking about. But you know the difference? WATSON! That is the difference. I look at Martin Freeman and under no circumstances could I imagine that John and Sherlock could be gay. It's bloody impossible, end of story.

Then there's Jude Law. His Watson is written almost as if he were a pansy. Well, that might be a bit extreme but, I ask you, who did teach his Watson to dance? Makes you wonder and I'd rather not have to worry about wondering, period.

So, there we go. My most recent Holmesesque thoughts. A Scandal in Belgravia is still ICK and so far off canon it hit Pluto on its journey out of the Milky Way but I'd still pick Sherlock as my #1 choice of recent Holmes film/tv adaptations. Hands down awesomeness.

5 comments

  1. ... that, and we get to see almost too much of Mycroft, which is just... disrespectful to Mycroft. =P

    I have the new one in my Netflix queue, but against my better judgment. I'll probably remove it at some point, otherwise I'll spend an entire evening screaming myself hoarse.

    I have a few more things to say, away from other eyes. I may e-mail you. =P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could always watch it just to say you've seen it. But I'm not so sure anymore if it would be worth even one watching. Caitlin liked it to start too and then her approval waned just like mine. If they'd just left out the "other" stuff then the movies would be pretty cool!

      Delete
    2. I thought absence was supposed to make the heart grow fonder? ;)

      Delete
  2. "A Scandal in Belgravia is still ICK and so far off canon it hit Pluto on its journey out of the Milky Way" - Love that line. Best possible one line description of the episode :)

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments, which I adore!